January 23, 2009

Three Weeks Ago...

My name is Andrew Robson.

Three weeks ago I made the decision to pursue a career in photography in Namibia. This blog is my tale as it unfolds from here on.

I am 34 years old and live in a town called Swakopmund, population 30 000. Most of the people who live here exist below the breadline. Those that have money would rather spend it on booze than photographs.

I live with a fantastic partner who has a 6 year-old son. She is an artist and he started grade 1 last week. My partner and I have an 11 month-old son. He is the center of my universe.

I have less than three years experience with a camera. I am self taught. I shoot with a Nikon D50. I predominantly use analogue lenses (50mm prime & 35-70mm) on the digital body. I have no accessories like reflectors, flashguns, remotes et al. I have only done one photoshoot for money before.I have virtually no business experience. I have avoided it all my life in favor the creative instinct (I know, I know...).

I am broke as I type this.

I am prone to emotional mood swings that can sabotage my best interests and intents.

If I start another sentence with I, I will stop today's blog.

Please check back regularly to see if I make it or not in this venture; which techniques I beg, borrow and steal; which tips I pass on from others and occasionally think up myself. You get the picture.

And please, please, please comment and offer your own insights and tips as I will need all the help I can get.

I...

Shit!

No comments:

Post a Comment