February 17, 2009

Mixed Bag

I am, and have been for the last couple of days, feeling like a bag full of mixed emotions regarding my photography.

The results of the shoot with Helga were very positive. I got quite a bit of material that I was happy with and even managed to surprise myself once or twice. Helga too, was pleasantly surprised and happy with the results.

On Saturday the 14th I shot a wedding. I was not the official photographer and had met neither the couple nor the official photographer before the time. I was only there to shoot, with the couple's permission, some shots for my portfolio. I would give them a few shots in return for the opportunity to take the photos.
Because it was a 'for free' gig, I did not hire the lenses and camera I would for a paid gig. Instead, I took my analogue lenses and D50 body, and borrowed my boss's Sony camera (which I have not shot with seriously before).
My first concern came when it became apparent that the official photographer did not know who I was or that I would be taking photographs too.
The rest, as they say, is a disaster.

I don't wish to go into specifics here. Despite the fact that this is quite a personal professional blog, I will not get into mudslinging or blame-games. Suffice is to say that I learned a number of invaluable lessons never to be repeated.

The most important lesson that I learned though, was that I am responsible for making sure that I get an end product that the couple/client will be happy with, and have to do everything in my power to make sure that I take that responsibility, from pre-wedding meetings to taking the photographs on the day to presenting them in the most effective manner I can. If anything goes wrong to the point of not being able to deliver, I must assume responsiblity (barring Acts of God and the like).

I am also stuck on the editing of the fashion shoot of 30 Jan-01 Feb. I received most of the go-aheads from Beatrice yesterday. I took a look at her choices and can quite frankly say that few of them would have been my first choices. To add to matters, I now have very strict guidelines to follow in editing (this is for a professional fashion portfolio after all) and am wondering if I will be able to follow those guidelines to achieve a look and feel in the pics that I will be satisfied to call my product. Hopefully I am only having a case of pre-editing nerves.

And so, seeing that my internet connection has been down in the evenings again and I haven't posted anything for a while, I'm going to add some pics from Helga's shoot to today's post.

Enjoy!




This is currently my favorite shot of the day. I really like the
movement, texture and energy of the shot.





Another shot that I personally like a lot. I enjoy the perspective and unusual lines of the composition, as well as the shadow of her hand extending beyond the confines of the photographed area.





Here's Helga looking (to me anyway) a hell of a lot like Courney Love. What I like about it is the almost clinical studio/setup feel disturbed by the crack in the wall near the bottom left of the shot (pic was taken in an abandoned building out in the desert, and Helga is holding a vandalized light switch that is still hanging from a broken wall - it reminded me of an old-fashioned microphone). And you gotta dig that hat!

No comments:

Post a Comment