February 22, 2009

Inspiration

I recently came across this short video, and would recomment ANY artist watch it.  It was made by a photographer and in it he discusses his art, but I know from experience with other artists that the processes he describes applies to painting, sculpture etc. etc.
The piece is truly inspirational and insightful, and is beautifully made.  Watch it.

www.zarias.com

Which got me thinking further.  Here in Namibia the art community is severely disjointed and not very communicative with, nor helpful to, one another.  I cannot speak about other art communities across the borders, so won't.  But in Namibia, artists need to survive in a metaphorical (and sometimes literal) desert.  There is a lack of originality, of spark, passion, daring, real thought, provocation, challenge... and, of course as mentioned earlier - artists helping one another, be it within their discipline or outside of it.  Whether that is because of low self-esteem, arrogance, fear, envy or any combination of all of those and more, I do not know.  

But I do know how disheartening it can be.  And so I find it rather amazing that the International photographic community is so encouraging of photographers at all levels.  I spend time on photo sharing sites (flickr for example) and spend most of my time reading and learning from others there.  On these sites, there are some outstanding photographers who, as I have recently found out, are more than willing to help out a newbie with questionable talent like myself.  And I'm not just talking here about posting a question on a forum - uh uh - I'm talking about sending them a personal message and receiving a personal response that is positive 100% (so far) of the time.
It makes me feel good to belong to a group of likeminded creatives who are open to sharing with anyone, regardless of how 'great' a photographer they have become.  I cannot speak for other creative and artistic communities, but can only hope that the same is true there.

So, as a result of sharing ideas and inspirations, I have been invited to join a blog of photographers.  The intent of the blog is for photographers to write articles in which they share their experience with other photographers.  These articles are then posted to the blog for anyone to use on their own blog, provided the author of the article is credited. 

I intend to make use of this fantastic opportunity, and so will have 'guest' writers on my blog from time to time.

Now, go and look at that $#*&! video link above...


No comments:

Post a Comment