March 16, 2009

1st Student

On Friday I started my first teaching session with Carol.  She called me up earlier in the week and asked if I would mind teaching her how to use her camera.  I was very keen to get started, knowing the value of teaching lies in both learning new things from students as well as reaffirming what you do and do not know about your subjects.

Carol is from Canada, and shows a very keen interest in improving her photography.  She is interested in landscape shooting, which is not a strong point of mine at all, but I can at least teach her how to use her equipment correctly to get the shots she sees in her head.  Our first lesson was three hours long and included an interview and getting her to exclusively use the Aperture Priority setting on her camera for the next week.  I also introduced her to the rule of thirds in composition.

This is both an interesting and exciting challenge for me, and it feels great to share with another photographer.

No comments:

Post a Comment